Monday, November 28, 2011
It's a.....GIRL!!!
MYKA HAYDEN was born on November 28th at 8:14 PM @ Madison Memorial Hospital. She weighed in @ 8 lbs 2 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. She had some hair that was brownish blond, a perfect little round face, and YOST chubby cheek's. She was beautiful. Another thing I noticed right off were her long skinny fingers. They reminded me of my Mom's long pretty fingers. My first thought was awesome she'll be able to palm a basketball. Then my second thought was and play the piano beautifully. I can't believe I ever doubted having a girl. We fell instantly in love with her. They laid her on my chest and started rubbing her down. She wasn't crying, just like Ryver, so they took her from me and suctioned her and stimulated her. Then she cried. I think she cried for 30 minutes straight. Scott had her for most of that time. She finally found her fist and started sucking. Once I was stitched up and "new" again. I held her skin to skin and nursed her. She was a natural.
Those first few hours after delivery are amazing. Just knowing where this little spirit came from, knowing that the veil was so thin and still probably is. It brought tears to my eyes. Also to look over and see Scott with that proud father look and he also had moist eyes. There is nothing more dear to me than seeing Scott wear his emotions on his sleeve. It doesn't happen often but when it does it is moving to me.
Now that story is told it's time to get the REAL story out. The labor story. It all started the Wednesday of Thanksgiving. I cleaned up the house, I even started putting a "hospital" bag together for me and the baby. I took a nap and Ryver and I waited for Scott to get home. He got home we ate sandwiches for dinner. During dinner I started having some cramps. Thought maybe my pants were to tight. We loaded up and started for home. I kept having these "cramps". I guess you could or would call them contractions. They weren't hard ones, but they were regular. We got to my parents house, I walked in and started crying. I did not want to have this baby until after Thanksgiving. My Mom laughed at me. What pregnant women would cry all because she didn't want her baby to come yet. ME!!! They did end up stopping once a got home, drank some water, and then cut Scott's hair. In the middle of the night the contractions came back although a little bit stronger. I spent most of the night in the lounge chair reading a book and getting a few hours of sleep.
The next day was Turkey day. It was a great day, and then I stayed up all night. The first since college probably. We went black Friday shopping. After we got home I thought to myself, "If that didn't make me go into labor, I'll made it until the weekend is over."
Friday night I went to bed again only to be woke up with contractions. They were getting a little bit more uncomfortable. I would fall asleep in between them, but then they would wake me up. I was slightly nervous but never woke anybody up. Saturday morning I lost some of my mucous plug, but no contractions until bed time once again. This is my 4th night with contractions which equals very little sleep. Sunday we went to church and of course everything was just fine. We traveled home with no problems. That night was horrible. I went to bed and was a sleep at like 9:00 PM. At around 11:30 contractions woke me up. They were pretty hard. Hard enough I had to breath through it and go to my happy place. They were anywhere from 7-19 minutes apart. Nothing to be to concerned over, right. I finally went back to bed around 4:30 AM, and Ryver woke me up at 7:00. I got up and just didn't feel great. I'm pretty sure I lost the rest of my mucous plug in the morning. I folded laundry, just picked up the house, and then Ryver and I went for a long walk. After doing all of this, still nothing happened. I then decided to try and have a nap. I put Ryver down and I laid down as well. What do you know, the contractions started up again. This was around 1:00. I sat there and timed them for an hour and a half. They were lasting anywhere between 30 seconds to 1 minute. They weren't regular. They were every 6-12 minute intervals. I got up around 2:30, and was so tired. I just wanted to sleep. I decided to call Debbie at work and see what the next day was like. She said we had 16-19 patients. I had contemplated going in but I really didn't think I could keep up the pace that would be needed. I told her I wasn't going to come in. I then called Dawn and that's when I broke down. I just wanted and so desperately needed some sleep. I was still having some contractions that I couldn't talk through. After talking to Dawn she convinced me to go in to my midwife and at least be checked, and ask for a sleeping aid for the night. I think Dawn probably thought I was having a breakdown. I have to admit I pretty much was. I was an emotional wreck. I kept saying I can't start out already sleep deprived. I called Scott and told him I was going to Rexburg to be checked. By this time it is 3:30 pm. I got in the truck, (easier to get in and out of), and got on the highway. I had a contraction hit that was HARD. I was white knuckling the steering wheel and started thinking maybe I shouldn't have driven myself. I timed my contractions all the way and they were now 3 minutes apart. That was the longest 15 mile trip to Rexburg ever. I walked in and told the receptionist that I thought I might be in labor. They got me right back. Maureen Davis, a nurse I worked with at MMSC came in. I once again started crying. Telling her if I wasn't in labor then I needed something to help me sleep. Helene, my midwife came in and listened to my sob story. I felt like she looked at me like I was one of those crazy prego ladies. She proceeded to say that she'd check me and if I was dilated at all that they could just admit me and let me get some rest. I told her that I didn't want to be one of "those crazy women". I told her I was fine just needed a little sleep and apologized for being so emotional. In the mean time she is down there checking me and guess what...."Well you are actually about a 7 1/2. I think you better go to the hospital."
All of the sudden I wasn't tired anymore. She asked me how soon my husband could make it here. I told her he was in Idaho Falls getting off work at 4:00. She suggested I call him. I did call but got his voice mail and told him I was headed up to the hospital. I got there checked in and they tagged teamed me. They were trying to get the antibiotics in ASAP. They had to be on board for 4 hours to count the baby treated. I was positive for Group B Strep. These two nurses were quite comical. Nice but comical. They were rushing around with their heads cut off. I'm sure I've looked like that before as well. They got everything going and kept asking me when Scott would be there. I think they were worried I was going to go really fast. The contractions still weren't really regular and they weren't lasting very long either. When Scott did get there, I went and sat in the Jacuzzi tub for about an hour. I got out of there because I was dying of heat. Then I sat on an exercise ball rocking back and forth.
By this time the contractions are getting to the point where I am squeezing the you know what out of Scott's hand and curling my toes. My back starts really hurting so I get up, use the bathroom and come back. Helene asked if I wanted to go on my hands and knees, I tried this and nope didn't want that position. I finally told her I felt like it was going to just fall out. We decide to break my water even though we haven't hit the 4 hour mark. For me to be treated I couldn't deliver until 8:45. I looked at the clock and it was 7:45. No way did I want to go another hour and I didn't think I could. They broke my water, it had meconium in it. About 20 minutes after they broke my water little Miss MYKA was born. That was the most amazing feeling. The burn and the hurt that came with it all. Helene and the nurses telling me to push slow and not to fast. That feeling of Myka coming out and all the hurt was gone. I looked down at this little head covered in meconium and the there was no crying. The cord was wrapped around her neck. The panic of knowing to much sets in. I had the urge to grab that cord and unwrap it from this tiny little neck. Helene kept reassuring me things were fine, it wasn't too tight, and she was getting it. She undid the cord, but Myka still wasn't crying, this is when they took her from me. She was okay and I was okay. That is all that matters. We ended up staying in the hospital for two nights, which got old! I now know what people mean by hospital food!
Ryver came up the next day and couldn't have been happier. The only thing he cried about was having to go home. He wanted to stay at the hospital with all of us. Thanks to my Mom for coming up and watching him, tidying up my house, and putting my nursery together! Love her so much. I hope that I can be the kind of Mom to my kids that she has been to me.
Now to tell where Myka's name came from. Her Uncle Jeremey watches a show called, "Warehouse 13". Aunt Dawn called one night early on in my pregnancy to tell me she has a cute girl name for me. She said it Myka and I had to think about for a few seconds. It only took a few seconds for me to fall in love with. I told Scott about it an he didn't turn me down so I knew this could happen. I had a few other names picked out that I likes. I liked Alex, Ally, and Skyler. We were torn between Myka and Ally. When Ryver came to the hospital we asked which name we should use, and he looked at me and picked Myka. So Myka it is!
This is in the very beginning, right after Scott got there. I felt excited, nervous, scared, and anxious.
Scott and I just waiting it out.
Wow, it's tuff to be a laboring Dad. This is before I needed his hand to hold.
This is me on my the exercise ball. It was actually comfortable to be on until the very end when it felt like I was sitting right on her head.
Myka's first picture. This is right after they unwrapped the cord and put her on my chest.
Proud Mamma!
Little Miss Myka
Proud Daddy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment